Company History

Baptist Hospitals of Southeast Texas (BHSET) consists of two hospitals. Baptist Beaumont Hospital (BBH) which is located in Beaumont,Texas and Baptist Orange Hospital (BOH) located in Orange, Texas.

The mission of the hospital system has stayed the same – to respond to the healthcare and related needs of the people of Southeast Texas by providing quality care and services in a Christian environment.

Baptist Beaumont Hospital is located just off IH 10 approximately 90 miles east of Houston, 60 miles from Galveston and 25 miles from the Louisiana border. Baptist Orange Hospital is located 20 miles east of Beaumont and 5 miles from the Louisiana border. This area is home to one of the world’s largest refining and petrochemical centers, and has become a source for sophisticated medical technology, precision industrial equipment, and call centers that appreciate the low cost of living and skilled workforce.

Our not-for-profit hospital system began in February 1945, when L.E. Stagg Sr., a Beaumont businessman and Baptist lay leader, led the effort to build a $1,365,000 “City of Healing” to address the serious hospital bed shortage in the area. Ground was broken and 19 months later, the first patient was admitted on October 15, 1949.

Over the past decade alone, Baptist Beaumont Hospital has invested more than $100 million in expansion projects that created a new emergency department, expanded critical/intensive care unit, new telemetry units, expanded imaging/radiology department, expanded surgery capabilities with eight new operating rooms, a new cafeteria, and a new chapel. Baptist Orange Hospital completed a new emergency department adding more than 8,500 square feet to the facility enabling it to more than double the number of patients it sees each year